Best of the Blogs
My Google Reader is packed.* If I fall behind on my blog reading during the week, I often have hundreds of posts to catch up on by the time the weekend comes!
So, inspired by Mediabistro’s reminder to spring clean my Twitter account, I decided to do the same with my regular blog reading lineup.
The beauty of the blogosphere? There’s something for everyone. Here are seven of my favorite blogs. Considering how many hours I spend scouring the Internet for sources that regularly feature novel, entertaining, informative, and thought-provoking content, I would dare to say that the following blogs have undergone a serious vetting process!
For the Fashionistas:
- The Sartorialist: Fashion photo-blogging would not be the same without The Sartorialist, which features images of not fashion models in expensive designer outfits in a carefully curated setting, but real people on the street. As the Parisian cafe-goers know, people watching isn’t creepy – it can be a great resource for style ideas!
- Who What Wear: Another great fashion resource, my personal favorite from WWW is the “What Was She Wearing” posts that feature pictures of celebrities alongside a guide of which designers they’re wearing. In a way, it’s like turning reality into a living catalog.
For the Beauty Junkies:
- Sunnie Brook Jones: Jones is a hair and makeup artist who posts how-to’s (see her steps to achieving an even skin tone), her favorite products (she is a fan of NARS blush – in the same iconic shade that I love!), and some musings mixed in (like reader-submitted poetry).
- Into the Gloss: My favorite beauty blogs have a common theme: their authors are industry insiders. They have access to virtually any product out there, so I am always curious about which products they use themselves. Into the Gloss is a great find for its profiles of people who work in the fashion and beauty industry!
For Women who Dream of the Corner Office:
- Forbes Woman: It’s got the name credibility from the Forbes you trust for your business news, but features articles tailored to women.
- Pursuing Our Passion: Want some serious career inspiration? Check out Pursuing Our Passion, run by two women who quit their corporate jobs to pursue social media entrepreneurship. They recently did a post on the best blogs to follow when you’re considering leaping into entrepreneurship as they did!
For Women who Want to Know:
- Double X is my source for news on women’s issues, from international affairs (check out this post on Libyan media’s portrayal of rape victim Iman al-Obeidi) to politics (see this post on Michele Bachmann’s potential presidential run) to entertainment (like this post covering Rihanna’s interview in Rolling Stone). The writers consistently compel readers to think about what each story means for women today in the context of our highly-gendered society. (To be honest, I think this blog is a must-follow for any woman!)
*If you regularly read multiple blogs and do not yet use Google Reader, you’re missing out on a valuable content aggregation tool! Check out the Google Reader tutorial to get started.
I’m always looking for new inspiration – Which blogs do you follow?